Because electronic components are getting smaller and more sensitive, it’s vital to be sure they are protected against ESD events including static discharge. According to ANSI/ESD S20.20, “Protective packaging is required to store, transport, and protect ESDS electronic items during all phases of production.” As stated in the new 2018 requirements for ANSI/ESD S541, shielding requirements were changed such that additional discharge for the bags should be 20 nanojoules or less. The Pink Poly bag is one of the more popular low charging bags. The bags are made with a tinted polyethylene material with an antistatic coating that might wear away. Over time, this turns the bag an insulator, making it no longer in compliance with ANSI/ESD S541 recommendations. The bags also lack discharge shielding protection that allows components inside the bag to be susceptible to ESD event damage. Metallized Shielding bags are constructed with a metalized polyester film and a low charging polyethylene laminate. This provides the bags with a shielding layer creating a Faraday cage which protects the ESD-sensitive components in the bag from possible ESD event damage. The low charging inner layer and outer layers of the bag prevent tribocharging from occurring, which minimizes the buildup of ESD charges when handling components.
Have you been questioned by your quality manager about shelf life on ESD bags? Perhaps it’s an internal quality procedure being written and you’d like to know the manufacturer’s position on the shelf life of ESD packaging. Well today we’ll discuss the topic of ESD Static Control bag storage and its expected shelf life. There are 1000’s of things to consider when looking at shelf life. Heat, storage rack conditions, transportation method, and local climate just to name a few. So the key points are:
- Avoid extremes: heat, cold, sunlight, moisture, add controls when possible
- In a controlled environment, our ESD bags have seen 5 yrs. of proven shelf life.
- Follow the FIFO process as a best practice for inventory.
- ESD static bag manufacturers that we represent has a 1 yr warranty from the date of purchase. Make sure to audit yearly or prior to use as a best practice and ensure that your devices are receiving the best protection.
- If the bags are questionable, recycle the product at your local recycling center and order more from Restronics Southwest.